Inspired by Earth Day this week, here are 5 easy Green projects to celebrate Earth Day any time of the year by creating a healthier, more sustainable environment within your home:
1. Set Up Recycle Bins: Perhaps you already separate your paper from your bottles and cans, but how organized is this process? Set up a committed recycling area within your kitchen. If you don’t like the look of a bunch of trash bins, consider these attractive recycling container options.
2. Change a Light Bulb: Rethink those incandescent bulbs: they are big energy wasters when compared with CFLs or LEDs. Saving on your energy bill can be as simple as changing out a few light bulbs, but first you must determine which lighting sources work best for your home .
3. Purchase Renewable Energy Certificates: Not everyone can afford solar panels or wind turbines. However, you can buy peace of mind in the form of Renewable Energy Certificates. Also known as Green Tags, these credits work in a similar way to buying carbon off-sets when you take a plane trip. Celebrate Earth Day by purchasing a few.
4. Conduct a Home Energy Audit: Is your home leaking money each month? Seemingly minor issues such as air leaks, outdated appliances and inadequate insulation could be costing you. If you have a couple of hours and a few basic tools, you can conduct your own home energy audit to determine where you can make improvements later.
5. Take Our Green Home Renovation Quiz: How much do you know about green remodeling? Take our quick quiz to find out! One of the best ways to celebrate Earth Day is by learning more about sustainable practices. To test your knowledge, click here or copy and paste into your browser: http://homerenovations.about.com/od/greenremodeloverview/ss/Green-Remodeling-Quiz.htm
Article from About.com: 5 Easy Earth Day Projects By Murrye Bernard